Top Tips for Staying Warm when exercising outside
Here are a few tips from our Fitness Manager Katy Thomas for those e or exercising outside through the colder months or taking part in a class in the bubble when we reopen.
- Stay Dry – we lose heat quickly if we get wet, therefore choose active wear made of synthetic material (rather than cotton) as this wicks (absorb or draw off (liquid) by capillary action) sweat or moisture away from the skin.
- Layer Up – start with a thin base of sweat/moisture wicking material and have layers you can remove as you get warm. The higher intensity the activity, the fewer layers you may need. Ensure you remove layers as you warm up; too many layers at high intensity will mean more moisture on the skin.
- Protect the Extremities – fingers, toes, ears and nose are most affected by the cold so consider, gloves, hats or ear coverings to keep those areas warm.
- Stay Hydrated – even at colder temperatures we need to hydrate as much as we would during the warmer months or inside.
- Post Workout – ensure you cool down and stretch (our classes always include this!) Your body temperature will drop quickly so ensure you get out of any damp clothing as soon as possible. Add back any layers you have removed, and/or bring dry spare clothing to change into as necessary.
We hope you find these helpful. Don’t forget that if exercising at home in the warm is the best choice for you at the moment, all members receive access to Club Towers Live. If you haven’t got your access code yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and non-members can sign up for just £9.99 per month.BACK TO BLOG