Re-Opening Safely after COVID-19 – September Update
Following the COVID-19 lockdown, we have put considerable thought into how we can open our doors, whilst keeping the risks to both our staff and you, our members, as low as possible. We have had some tremendous feedback from our members since re-opening and it has been wonderful to see so many of you back exercising. This blog summarises the latest changes and policies we have in the Club to help you all exercise safely and within the guidelines set. Obviously, the situation is constantly changing, and we will continue to update this blog as required.
The good news is that our Club is one of the safest around. Being new, the high quality and modern air handling systems ensure large quantities of fresh air are constantly being pumped around the building. In addition, our normal cleaning regime has always been good, and we have enhanced this further since re-opening. The measures we outline below will enable as many members as possible to use the Club throughout the day, whilst still ensuring that we can all stay suitably “socially distanced” and hence, as safe as possible.
The changes are outlined in our video (please note this was made prior to our re-opening on the 25th July so the most up to date information is in the text below:
We will start with some general points before moving onto the gym and our group exercise classes:
When Visiting the Club:
- Please remember your membership card. If you do not, you may have to wait to enter until we have let in those that have their cards. Only one barrier will be in operation and we want to ensure a speedy entry to avoid crowding at the entrance.
- We will be using the main entrance to enter the Club and exiting through the Club Lounge doors. Please follow the signs and do not try to exit out of the front doors.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the front door – please use this before you enter.
- To help protect our staff and our members, masks are now compulsory when entering the Club and moving around the comment areas. Obviously we do not expect you to wear a mask when exercising or when seated in the Club Lounge.
- Please come changed and ready to exercise and leave your bags in the car if possible. We wish to keep locker room use to a minimum, and we anticipate main use will be by members using the pool and spa.
- In the locker rooms, the hand dryers and hair dryers have been disabled. Please use the paper towels provided to dry your hands.
- Please follow the floor signs when moving around the Club. When using the stairs please stay on the left.
- Note that we are not taking cash payments, so please bring your card/phone.
- Please bring water with you to the Club. Our water fountains will remain in use to fill bottles, but we would like to keep their use to a minimum.
- Please adhere to the “rule of 6” and ensure you do not gather in the Club Lounge or common areas in numbers greater than 6.
The most important point to note is that you will need to book a timeslot in the gym, in the same way as you would currently book a class or a court. Time slots will start quarter past the hour from 6.15am and will run for 45 minutes (e.g. 8.15am to 9am, or 7.15pm to 8pm). This will allow 15 mins of “changeover time” to allow members to clean the kit they have been using and exit the gym, and enable our staff to do some additional cleaning before the next group enters. Please note:
- Please book your session through the App. You will be able to book up to nine, 45-minute sessions in a rolling week period.
- Numbers will be limited to 35 in each session. If you don’t have a booked slot you will not be able to use the gym.
- Half of the gym kit has been taken out of use, to allow adequate spacing between stations.
- Please wipe down your kit, before and after use. There will be plenty of blue roll and disinfectant spray available. Our team will also be doing extra cleaning in the gym to ensure that kit remains as clean as possible.
- Our popular parent & junior gym sessions for 12-15 year olds will run extra sessions to compensate for the loss of supervised junior gym on the timetable. Please note that BOTH the 12-15 year old and the parent will need to book a slot at the same time, and the usual close supervision rules will apply. Please refer to the timetables on the website or in the Club for days and times of these sessions.
- You can book your PT sessions directly with your PT as normal. These will remain 1 hour sessions and can be booked immediately. All of our PTs will wear masks during PT sessions.
Please do be courteous when using the gym and do not “hog a station” for too long. If there are others waiting for the free weights area, we are asking you limit your time to 15 minutes. Please move regularly onto different pieces of kit.
We are continuing to run classes, led by all of your favourite instructors, and these are bookable in the usual way. However, to ensure social distancing we are limiting numbers to around 50% of our previous capacity – this will enable us to operate well within the guidance for space required to safely exercise. We recognise that this will make it harder to book onto classes, so we are taking the following additional steps to help improve the situation:
- You will be restricted to booking a maximum of three group exercise classes per week and we kindly ask you to respect this limit. We will be running regular checks. However, if there is space on the day you may book and attend additional classes.
- All members with an active (i.e. not frozen) membership will have free access to our new “Club Towers Live” streaming service for as long as we have to restrict class numbers in the Club. For details please visit www.clubtowerslive.com. To gain an access code for Club Towers Live please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Members who stay on freeze will be able to subscribe to “Live” in the usual way.
- We will shorten some classes to enable us to run additional ones.
When attending a class, please go upstairs and straight into the relevant studio. We will be leaving gaps between the end of one class and the start of the next, so that there will be no need to wait around outside the studio. Other points to note:
- Please clean your mat/kit BEFORE AND AFTER your class using the blue roll and disinfectant spray provided.
- If you can please bring your own mat with you.
- There are floor markers to show where to place your mat or equipment to give adequate spacing. Please follow these markings.
- The instructor will take the roll call before each class so that you do not have to handle the pen and sheet, and to ensure that only booked participants are in the studio.
- Some classes will be streamed live to members doing the class at home. If you do not wish to be in the video then please avoid these streamed classes or choose a place in the studio where you will not be visible.
- Sadly, we don’t feel able to offer gym floor workouts or our Supervised junior gym classes currently, due to the sharing of kit that occurs in these classes. We are looking at ways to re-introduce these as soon as possible though.
- After the class, please clean your mat/kit and exit the studio quickly. Please do not use the equipment in the gym unless you have a gym session booked.
It has been great to see tennis starting up again at the Club and even better to see some of our regular coaching sessions get underway in September.
The booking system will remain unchanged but there are just a few points to note on tennis:
- Please don’t congregate around the entrances to the courts. If they are already in use, please wait some distance away and stay socially distanced until your start time. There are designated queuing areas outside the indoor and outdoor courts to allow this and we would ask you wait beyond the exit gate for members beside the dome if the match before has not finished.
- No more than four players on a court please.
- Please replace your towel (and any other kit) in your racquet bag after use, and don’t leave it lying on the court or bench during your match.
- Please use the hand sanitisers after you have finished your game.
- Please bring your own balls and racquets as we are unable to lend at the moment. Balls are available to buy.
Note that adult group coached sessions will resume, but with a strict limit of 6 players per court. Tennis social and team sessions are running but must be booked to ensure capacities are not exceeded.
The great news is that squash players are able to get back on court, albeit with certain restrictions.
The key things to note when playing squash please are:
- Normal match play is only allowed within a squash bubble of 6. Please submit who is in your squash bubble to Reception.
- Drills, routines, solo practice, and coaching are still allowed outside of your bubble.
- No more than 2 players on a court.
- Please sanitise your hands before and after play.
- Please do not wipe sweaty hands on the wall or glass backs.
- Please put your towel and other equipment, straight into your bag.
- Stay back from the doors and allow the previous court users to exit safely before trying to enter the court.
- Please bring your own balls and racquets as we are unable to lend at the moment. Balls are available to buy.
Note that we will be running Club nights but you must book a slot and only play matches against someone in your bubble or otherwise play sides or drills.
Swimming & Spa
As for the gym, the most important point to note is that you will need to book a timeslot in the pool and spa, in the same way as you would currently book a class or a court. Time slots will start at quarter past the hour and quarter to the hour, and will last for a maximum of one hour. So for example you would be able to book a slot from 7.15am to 8.15am, or from 5.45pm to 6.45pm.
- Please book your session through the App. You will be able to book up to 4 sessions in a rolling week period. If you don’t have a booked slot you will not be able to use the pool/spa.
- Parents wishing to swim with a young child will need to book their child in via Reception if they do not have an email address and log in for that child. Both parent and child will require a booking.
- Total numbers in the pool and spa will be limited to 14 per hour, with a maximum of 4 in the hydropool (two in seats and two in beds) at any one time. The sauna and steam room will remain closed.
- You may use the locker rooms, but please do wipe down the locker handle after use.
- Four showers will be in use in each locker room. Please do not forget to shower before using either of the pools.
- Sunbeds will not be in use – either inside or outside.
- Please bring a clean towel and hang it on the pegs provided so that you are in the locker rooms for the minimum time possible.
- We are running some group sessions in the pool, such as aqua classes, parent & baby sessions and swimming lessons. During these activities it will not be possible to book a slot to use the pool or spa.
Please do be courteous when using the pool and spa. In particular, please do not stay in the hydropool for too long to allow everyone a fair chance to use it.
The Club Lounge is an important part of the social environment of the Club and is very much open for business. However, the opening will be phased and currently we are running a food service until 2pm. In addition to this we have also now extended our kitchen opening hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to cover the late afternoon/early evening period, when junior swimming and tennis lessons are running. After closing at 2pm, the kitchen will reopen from 4pm to 6.15pm, with last orders at 6.10pm. This continues our policy of gradually increasing our kitchen operations to meet demand from our members.
Outside of kitchen service times we will have snacks available from front of house to go with our hot and cold drinks service – including takeaway baguettes and soups.
We have removed quite a lot of seating from the indoor lounge area to enable you to remain socially distanced. All of our outdoor seating will be available and is well spaced. As per the current guidance you will not be able to eat or gather in groups of more than 6.
Please do use the hand sanitiser provided or wash your hands thoroughly before using the Lounge.
Note that, due to social distancing and the reduced seating capacity, working in the Club Lounge will not be allowed. If you wish to work you may use the quiet lounge and during busy periods we ask you to limit you time in there to 1 hour.
We are a hybrid café operation and we have developed a way of serving that we believe offers the safest solution for staff and members. Hence we do not intend to change the way we operate. Please continue to order at the counter, and then take a seat at a table and we will deliver your drinks and food to you. If there is already someone at the counter, please ensure you stay 2m away in line with the floor markings, and please ensure you wear your masks at all times when at the counter.
Sadly, the soft play area must remain out of action for the time being. We know how much our younger members love the soft play but we are currently unable to meet the Government safety guidelines, which includes amongst many things, pre-bookings, extensive cleaning and a one way system for entry and exit. We will of course continue to monitor this.
Our Creche is now open. Opening hours are Monday-Friday, 9-1pm, at a cost of £6 per hour, with a discount for block bookings. Information about the changes we have made to ensure we can open safely can be found here. If you have any further questions or would like to arrange a tour, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Creche Manager Amy, either in the Club or through email@example.com
We look forward to welcoming children back into the Creche.
Members are currently not allowed to buy guest passes for the pool, gym and classes unless they are using a voucher issued through our Premium Membership programme. Tennis and Squash guest passes are possible to purchase and the usual guest rules apply with these. Note that tennis guests may not use the indoor courts at peak times – from 5pm on weekdays or on weekend mornings between 9am and 1pm. We will obviously keep the guest pass policy under review.
We hope that the above is clear and makes sense to you, and if you have yet to unfreeze your membership, we hope that we can welcome you back to the Club shortly in a safe and socially distanced manner. Apologies for the length of the blog, but there is a lot to communicate! If you have any questions or concerns, then we are here to help. Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call and speak to reception.
Many thanks and wishing you all well.
Matthew, Steve and the Club Towers TeamBACK TO NEWS